Camping Food to Keep You Going
A long camping trip requires you to stay hydrated and consume the right kind of food. In order to avoid falling ill in the wilderness, your choice of food should complement the kind of physical and mental exertion you would confront with. Planning an outdoor camping trip requires you to ensure that the food you carry doesn’t cause you any trouble whatsoever. You should choose your camping food based on the following factors:
- Weight: Carrying extra weight is a big no when it comes to camping. You need to ensure that the food you carry is light on your shoulders along with your stomach.
- Palatability: Nothing like biting on a delectable piece of meal after a hard day’s hike. While not all food items would be as per your taste, it is a good idea to take a few food items that you would love to eat.
- Nutritional Value: One of the most important aspects of outdoor camping is to carry food that is rich in nutrients and energizes your body with all the necessary elements it needs.
- Packaging: Canned sardines and meat are good food items to carry but you should ensure that the food you carry is easy to open and easy to dispose off as well. Environment-friendly packaging is a significant part of your food preparations for outdoor camping.
- Ease of preparation: You would not want to spend hours trying to cook your meals after a lengthy trek. Instant meals with good nutrition value are highly recommended for campers.
Food for Thought
Healthy food items are not just good for your physical health but also for your mental health. The kind of food you carry with you determines the kind of stamina and the kind of mental and physical strength you would carry with you on your camping trip. You can find special camping food items (mostly freeze-dried canned food) in stores but these can be a tad expensive. It is a better idea to prepare eatables on your own a couple of days before setting out.
Simple food items that you can pack in lesser space include cereals, buts, dry-fruits and candy bars for instant energy. On the other hand, for proper meals, you can carry with you canned meat and canned vegetables. Contrary to popular belief these food items do not require refrigeration. Outdoor camping is an activity that people have been indulging in for centuries and therefore, there are some food items that qualify as traditional camping food items –
- Beef jerky – Nutrient rich and a source of quick energy
- Preparing stews from canned meat and vegetables
- Tuna fish and canned chicken can be used in preparing a number of recipes
- Salami on crackers
Some other food items that make for quick bites are –
- Baked beans with bread – Can be prepared beforehand or can be purchased in canned form.
- Fresh veggies: Mashed potatoes, broccoli, green beans, peas and corn on the cob.
- Bread: Helps you prepare rolls and can also be had with cheese, ham or honey.
- Pita chips and pretzels
While camping, your breakfast and dinner would make for important meals and therefore food items like grilled meat are highly recommended. Making fire and roasting a hot dog is one of the fun activities for campers. For campers who have a sweet tooth, pancakes, hotcakes and flapjacks make for fine camping food items.
Easy to prepare, pack and store, these food items are a blessing for campers with a sweet tooth. The best thing about camping is that you get to learn innovative ways of cooking. Potatoes can be wrapped in a tin foil and can be put on a rock next to a fire. Baked potatoes make for great camping food.
Broiled fish, especially trout is a fine camping food item. If you plan to go fishing on your outdoor camping trip, you can simply find a forked branch, hold the fish in it and stick a few sticks across the width and length of the fish and broil for a few minutes. Soups and sandwiches are fine recipes for lunch and are easy to carry as well.
Camping involves a number of activities that make it fun. If you have never cooked before, a few camping trips would teach you how to fix a quick meal. If you have an RV, the list of camping food items increases and you have the freedom to cook delectable meals in the kitchen using a number of ingredients.